History of Our Club
Our photography club was founded in 1951 by Virginia Goldberg.
Virginia actually wanted to join an existing photo club called the Cincinnati Salon but she was told that the Cincinnati Salon was for men only.
So Virginia started a new photo club called the Cincinnati Color Slide Club (CCSC) which became the most prestigious photo club in Cincinnati. Meetings were held at Friendship United Methodist Church in Wyoming, Ohio. There were two competitions – Nature and Pictorial. Membership in CCSC peaked in the year 2000 with 70 members. Virginia died in 2011 age 98.
By the year 2002, digital photography was replacing color slides. We reluctantly decided to have a digital competition and a print competition instead of color slide competitions. Now we needed a new name. The club could no longer be called the Cincinnati Color Slide Club. We chose a name that would not be confused with other photo clubs in the area. We became the Photography Club of Greater Cincinnati, abbreviated to PCGC. Our web site was PCGC1951. 1951 was the year Virginia started the club.
In 2017 we moved to the Evendale Cultural Arts Center.
As of 2021, we are meeting in the Bell Tower Arts Pavilion.
What about the Cincinnati Salon? They disbanded in 1985. All the funds in their treasury were transferred to the Cincinnati Color Slide Club.